Tim Fountain

A Follower, Husband, Dad, and Friend on a journey

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Beer or No Beer

What is one thing that Homer Simpson and Hank Hill have in common besides their obvious good looks. The love of beer. They do enjoy drinking beer although I believe Hank is the more responsible drinker of the two. Tim get to the point. Okay...Jeremiah was in town the other day and we stopped at Old Chicago so he could get some Woodchuck Cider. On the way he asked me if I would be offended if he ordered a beer. I said no of course not, but did I really believe what I just said? As we began to gorge ourselves on dessert (we had already shoveled down tons of pizza) he asked me if I would like to taste it. I immediately began to give my pat answer: "I don't like the taste of alcohol (even though it has been atleast 6 years since I have tasted it), alcoholism runs in the family you know i just don't like it." Then yesterday I had lunch with a friend and we began to discuss the complexities of church and how I have been feeling frustrated. I brought up the point that we are trying to drag people out of the communities they are in and place them in church...a place that really makes no sense to them. Then he made a statement pertaining to beer. He said that most guys after a softball game go to the bar and have a few beers but he would not feel comfortable even though he drinks beer at home. He feels like the posistion he is in as an elder that it would not be beneficial for him to drink a beer with the guys. I believe that this is not just about beer but about our fear to be who we are and break into these communities and share in their lives. From the very beginning of my faith their has always been this cloud looming over of acceptable behaviors and if you begin to deviate you will get blasted. I believe at times the church and it's unwritten rules hold us prisoner. We are not willing to experience the freedom that Christ has given us. I still think that beer tastes like horse pee, although I have never tasted horse pee. I might be willing to try some Woodchuck Cider next time and see if I really do like it! I am free!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home