Tim Fountain

A Follower, Husband, Dad, and Friend on a journey

Thursday, December 11, 2003

LABELED

Labels are funny. I have been labeled my entire life and although there is truth to most of the labels they don't define who I am. During childhood I was one of the twins, the baby. In high school I was labeled a stoner or metal head. While I was a metal head I definitely wasn't a stoner. I left that up to my older brothers because they seemed to be rather proficient at getting stoned. Maybe I was labeled that because of association. Who knows? Now I have a huge label that seems to be more of hindrance than anything: youth minister. My close friends know who I am but some people only know me as the bald student guy (at times I wish I was known as the guy with long flowing hair).

My point is this: Labels suck! Labels are an easy way to push responsibility off on other people. As society labels sections of itself we tend to pick the labels that we are most comfortable with. You have the lesbos, homos, hobos, pomos, weirdos and the list drones on forever. When you label somebody you instantly think you know who they are, what they believe, you let the label define who they are instead of them telling you. You assume hence you usually make an ass of yourself. I want to be know as Tim. I know some people would argue that I should be known as a Christian or disciple but what do those labels speak of today? Not exactly what I am about but there is truth to them. Christ is transforming me into what he wants me to be albeit kicking and screaming at times. What if we would just take the time to look past the labels and get to know the person I am sure this world would change. Just a little thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home