Tim Fountain

A Follower, Husband, Dad, and Friend on a journey

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

My definition of church or lack thereof

Dear Anonymous

Simple but complex question. I see the church as a living organism that should permeate culture or maybe a like a virus. I don't see it as a static "thing". When most Christian define church they instantly but a name to it which is the building they meet in. Another common questions is: what church do you go to? I don't, I am just part of the church. Make sense?

If you were to view the church as an organic type of thing and try and remove yourself from the static situation most institutional churches find themselves in; how would that change your definition of church?

I guess right now i have more questions than definitions.

Can you imagine yourself not going to "church" but being the church?

I don't know just thinking out loud.

I know one thing that God has been teaching me over the last few weeks is: it is about relationships! I know that my thoughts about the "church" and it's attractional approach consumed me and now that I am free from that I am seeing God more clearer. It is something that is hard to describe it has to be experienced. I am truly experiencing a freedom in Christ that i never knew. I realize that you don't have to go to a Sunday morning service to be a Christian but you do need to be involved in a connected communinty that functions as the church. I have alread been told several times by well intentioned folk (people that i love dearly and believe have my best interests in mind) that i shouldn't wait too long to find a church to go to. What is implied is that if i don't go to sunday church i will fall away but that will not be the case. Anyway i have not at all begin to define church because it is simply complex nor have i thought it out enough to put into a sensible manner. I will keep you posted, by the way feel free to reveal yourself and come into blogdom, it is a friendly and uplifting place. One good thing is that there are no politics or people breathing down your neck and if they do you don't have to respond! HA

5 Comments:

  • At 10:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Tim,
    Interesting line of thinking but I believe it is wrong thinking. Please let me explain. The church that the Lord thought it was important that he called it the bride of Christ. Was so important to Him that he died for it and said that hell it self can not prevail against it.

    Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

    Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

    Ephesians 3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

    Jesus gave his commandments to his church which is a company of baptized believers in Christ joined together.

    Tim the scripture tells us not to forsake ourselfs in assembling together. And if we deny that we can give glory to God out of the church that Christ is the head than we are saying that the scriptures are wrong. And if they are wrong, what is the point.
    I was like you at one time in my christian walk and then realized that when it came to church type political garbage. I said to myself basically what you are saying now. And God revealed to me that it was not his direction that I thought he was leading me to but it was that angel of light called Lucifer.

    God wants us to serve and worship him. If we are not at a point in our life that the church we are in is not feeding, excersing our faith and challenging us as christians. Than we need to find a new church home that will do such that. And do the great commission that Jesus told his church to do before he ascended to heaven. When he called his apostles to serve Him he has assembled His church. They were baptized believers. Who had the authority to baptized? It was Jesus as he was baptized by John the Baptist. Which he received authority from God. Do you have the authority to baptized? No the church does. Do you have the authority to have the Lords supper? No the church does. These were the two ordinaces given to His church to carry out.

    Sorry Tim I would heed the warning of your loved ones and get back in there. The Lord uses who he calls. We are saved not for warming the pew but to serve Him and to give him Glory in the church.

    On the Blog thing. Ill think about lololol.

    In Gods Peace

     
  • At 12:03 PM , Blogger isaac said...

    Tim,
    I understand what you're saying, but judging by Mr. Anonymous' reply, I don't think he does. Perhaps he needs some historical and exegetical clarification from you. You're not looking for an excuse to stop church, you're asking reform questions of the church. Time to get your Luther on. Look forward to your reply to Anonymous; this kind of misunderstanding is typical regarding these kinds of discussions and I'm curious to see how you deal with it :)

     
  • At 10:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I dont underdstand why you need "man" (Luther). To tell you what Jesus Christ said in His own words. I prefer to get it from God not man. Does it not tell us in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." So dont put on the "Luther". Put him back on the shelf and grab for the Holy Scriptures who the author is God. Not by any man.

     
  • At 8:05 AM , Blogger Dan said...

    I'd like to meet Mr. Anonymous.

    Any chance he (or she?) is a local?

     
  • At 7:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am a man and yes I am a local.

    Gods Peace :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home